Some retailers are shifting away from a legacy point of sale (POS) terminal toward flexible, scalable tablet-based solutions. And for good reason. Tablet POS solutions are affordable, powerful platforms that increase mobility, generate comprehensive analytics and securely store data. Many tablet POS systems are cloud-based Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions that update automatically.
Although SaaS solutions are easy to use, some merchants have been hesitant to implement them because they rely on an “always on” internet connection. A cloud-based system won’t function if the connection is spotty, which could wreak havoc during a big sale or holiday shopping time.
Cloud-connected or hybrid POS solutions are a smarter choice for store owners who want the convenience and mobility of a cloud-based system, but can’t give up the reliability of a wired POS network. Sounds good? We think so, too. Here’s why you should consider a hybrid tablet POS system for your store:
- Versatility: A hybrid tablet POS system gives you all the benefits of a cloud-based system, including real-time reporting — with one essential difference. If your store loses its internet connection, your hybrid tablet POS system will still run, but the real-time updates won’t sync until the internet connection is restored. A hybrid system can be used in any position: with the tablet mounted on a counter or wall or carried on the sales floor.
- Ergonomics/Aesthetics: Hybrid tablet POS systems are attractive and chic, but they’re more than just a pretty face. These solutions are perfect for small counters, pop-up stores or other spaces where space is limited. Hybrid tablet POS systems have a small, practical footprint that won’t take up every inch of the counter, so there’s room to display impulse purchase items and gift cards. The checkout line is a customer’s last stop before they leave the store, so a tidy cash wrap with attractive technology leaves a positive, lasting impression as shoppers depart.
- Scalability: If you are considering a future expansion or need to have more checkouts temporarily, a hybrid tablet POS system gives you the flexibility to easily add terminals and locations to your network. There are no licenses or technicians necessary, it’s essentially a “plug and play” operation. It only takes a few minutes to configure the tablet or mobile device and sync it to the network. Once it’s on the network, the device will be running the same solution, with the same data accessibility.
Choose a hybrid tablet POS that can accommodate multiple peripherals. Star Micronics’ mPOP solution is one of the most comprehensive options on the market. We’ve recently added several new peripheral options, so the solution can be used as a complete check-out in nearly every retail category.
The new peripheral options include:
- Three Star Micronics scales that can be used in candy shops, farmer’s markets and grocery stores
- 2D barcode scanner for retailers that want to accept QR code coupons or access item information
- Two-line, blue backlit customer display that shows shoppers their transaction information as well as advertising messages
- New cash drawer port that supports an additional external cash drawer for busy shifts
Hybrid tablet POS solutions are a perfect solution for retail store owners who are hesitant to implement a SaaS system due to connectivity issues but want the freedom of mobile POS. A hybrid system empowers store owners and staff with all the benefits of a cloud-based solution, without ever turning away a sale because the internet is down.
For more information on the Star Micronics mPOP solution, contact us!