Mobile point of sale (mPOS) solutions have ranked on retailers’ list of “nice to have” technologies since their introduction several years ago. However, for most merchants, mPOS solutions are “must-haves” for 2017. Here’s why.
1. Convenience. Customers are no longer willing to stand in long lines to complete sales transactions. They want options that allow them to pay for their items quickly, and that allow them to pay from locations other than the stationary checkout lane. With mPOS solutions, retailers can accept payments in store aisles, at temporary checkout stations on the sales floor and, in the case of sidewalk sales, in front of the store itself. Additionally, retailers that sell merchandise in other environments, such as craft shows or farmer’s markets, can securely process credit card payments when mPOS solutions are in their technology toolbox.
2. Access to Information. Increasingly, consumers are using their smartphone while shopping at brick-and-mortar stores. According to a recent survey by mobile loyalty firm SessionM, 90 percent of respondents said they research products on their smartphones; 54 percent search for price comparisons; 48 percent search for product information; and 42 percent check reviews online. Equipping sales associates with mPOS devices allows store employees to access the same product information as shoppers, and it allows them to engage shoppers at the point of decision.
3. Endless aisle capability. Today’s consumers want what they want, when they want it – and if it’s not available at your store, shoppers will turn to your competitors to get it. mPOS solutions can prevent this from happening by providing endless aisle capability. Endless aisle capability allows customers to access an establishment’s e-commerce store, find the item that is out of stock in the current brick-and-mortar location and order immediately. Customers can shop endless aisles and arrange for the item to be delivered or picked up at the store, thanks to mPOS.
4. Space saving. Traditional POS technology occupies a lot of room on retail counters; the bulkier the equipment, the more difficult it is for store employees to operate in tight spaces. Bulky tech equipment is also less aesthetically pleasing. By contrast, ergonomic mPOS solutions have a small footprint and a sleek appearance, as well as require only minimal counter space. This paves the way for a more attractive store, with more room on the counters to display merchandise.
5. Support for a top-notch customer experience. Retail in 2017 is all about providing customers with the first-class customer experience they have come to expect and demand. mPOS solutions contribute heavily to that experience by allowing retailers to offer efficient customer service, payment flexibility, access to the widest possible range of merchandise, and a higher level of customer engagement.
When you plan for a new mPOS, a complete retail solution is more than a tablet. Easy-to-integrate peripheral components, such as a 1D or 2D barcode scanner, receipt printers, scales, customer displays, and cash drawers, are vital to the retailer’s mPOS success. Star Micronics’ mPOP™, Mobile Point of Purchase, is the first “hybrid for tablet” POS and is an ideal solution for tablet and mobile device-based POS. It affords the above-mentioned benefits and so much more. To learn about mPOP™ and other POS options from Star Micronics, visit www.starmicronics.com.