It’s unmistakable: the leaves are turning, spooky décor is popping up in front yards, and you can’t seem to avoid retail displays piled high with bags of candy. That’s right, it’s almost Halloween!
You have probably done some Halloween marketing for your retail store (or your retail customer’s store) in the past, but have you ever wondered just how popular the holiday really is? How much do consumers spend, and on which products? An even better question is, how do you go about promoting your Halloween message and doing your best to ensure you won’t be “ghosted” by shoppers?
Let’s take a look at Halloween spending this year – here are some fascinating Halloween spending statistics from the National Retail Federation (NRF):
- Shoppers say they will spend an average of $86.27 this Halloween
- 35% cite online search as the top source of inspiration
- 29 million people plan to dress their pets in costume
- 68% plan to celebrate Halloween this year
- Top spending categories are as follows:
- $3.2 billion on costumes
- $2.6 billion on candy
- $390 million on greeting cards
- 69% of consumers hand out candy
- 49% decorate their home
- 44% carve a pumpkin
- 32% throw or attend a Halloween party
- 29% take their children trick-or-treating
- 22% visit a haunted house
- 37% planned to start Halloween shopping before October
How to Take Advantage of All That Halloween Spending
Halloween will get a lot spookier if you don’t take advantage of all the holiday has to offer for your retail store (or for your retail customers)!
To help grow sales and customer engagement this Halloween, Star has made it easier than ever to promote ghoulishly good sales and product lines. With PromoPRNT, retailers (or those acting on their behalf) can create custom promotions that print directly on the bottom of the receipt. These promotions can serve as a coupon, funnel shoppers toward an e-commerce site, and more.
To get you started, the Star team has created the following Halloween templates, which are now available in the PromoPRNT Promotion Builder dashboard: